From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1993 20:17:21 GMT
I recently read somewhere that the NC$$ has a rule on how many teams
can participate in the Div I championship tournament.

This related to Colgate and their decision to drop Div I Baseball.

Seems that they base the number of teams in the tournament on the
percentage of the schools involved at the Division I level.

This is based on basketball which has 298 teams in Div I.

If a team has 95-100% participation from the 298 teams, then
a 64 team tournament can be done.

And the percentages were broken down further, so if the number of teams
participating had reached a certain percentage, then they could have
so many teams in the tournament. Baseball was falling close to moving
from a 48 team tournament to a 32 teams tournament because the number
of schools in Div I baseball were declining.

My question here is how does this affect Div I hockey?
Is this a reason a larger number of teams can not be
had in the NC$$ college hockey tournament?  And if the MAAC decides to come
through with a full Div I hockey program, and the ACHA teams go from`
club status to Div I will this increase Div I hockey tournament team?

Can anyone clarify this rule or does anyone else have knowledge of it?

I guess what I'm saying is:

*  Jayson Moy                   *  One of the VOices of RPI Engineer Hockey  *
*  [log in to unmask]                 *  on 91.5 FM WRPI, Troy                     *
*                               *  And RPI Engineer Baseball now too!!!!     *