From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1993 19:13:33 -0600
Glenn writes:
>     In retrospect I should have turned off the TV sound and listened to
>the radio coverage, but in all the excitement it didn't occur to me and I
>wound up suffering through the lousy MSC announcers.  I realize that they
>had to throw the entire production together at the last minute, and I'm
>grateful that they did.  Their pro-Minnesota slant was somewhat annoying,
>though, compounded by their mispronunciation of Clarkson names (example:
>"Toominen") and general lack of knowledge of eastern hockey (in a between-
>periods interview, Maine coach Sean Walsh was asked if Clarkson's first
>line was "one of the best lines in your conference."  They are, of course,
>not in the same conference).  Early in the third I heard a Minnesota blast
>ring loudly off the post and laughed when the announcer proclaimed "save
>by Rogles!"  Oh, well, I am grateful that the game was broadcast at all.
>Thanks to the Minnesota fans' lobbying, and to our own WCKN for picking up
>the feed!

Yeah, it occurred to me during the broadcast that the Clarkson people
wouldn't be too thrilled with Dick Bremer and Tom Reid.  They ARE the
MSC second-string (the first-stringer had a prior commitment to do
the HS basketball tournament).  They do a little better job with teams
they know, or, at least, have had more than 1 day to prepare for!  Which,
of course, makes them sound even more biased than they are.  Still, I hope
we don't get stuck with them ALL the time next year if Doug McLeod (sp?)
-the first-stringer- follows the Stars to Dallas!

It was OUR turn to be  annoyed at NESN's announcers Saturday afternoon for
not giving the Wisconsin-Michigan score EVER during the broadcast.  We
had to wait for Dick and Tom to come on for the Gopher-Maine game to
find out what had happened.

~s TV broadcasters
Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!  (Wait 'til next year :-(;  only 3 graduating seniors!)
1993 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!