From:
CHRIS SKOWEN <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CHRIS SKOWEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1993 19:09:00 CDT
As already posted by Tom Rowe, UW-Stevens Point beat UW-River
Falls for the NCAA Division III Championship, 4-3 in OT.  Elmira
topped Plattsburgh State 7-3 (if I remember correctly) in the
consellation game.

After a brief 1-1/2 hour run through the Mall of America (and probably
saw about 1/4 of it) I headed for Aldrich Arena to catch the
consolation and championship games.  The consolation game between
Elmira and Plattsburgh State was very entertaining.  It was a lot
more physical than I was expecting and quite a few penalties
resulted from the rougher play.  The rough play was not confined to
only the ice as some members of the crowd got into the action.
About midway through the 2nd period, two consecutive penalties were
called on PS.  As the PS players were sitting in box, a fan
(possibly a UWSP fan) ran down the stairs and dumped a glass of
water or soda on the players in the box.  Needless to say, the
players took exception to this and tried to climb the glass to get
at the jerk.  Another guy jumped on the guy and wrestled him to the
cement.  Security then rushed to the scene and, I believe, cuffed
them both.  One of the guys must have put up some fight considering things
didn't get back to normal for about 10 minutes.  I wasn't more than
15 feet from the action, but I couldn't see much with all the people
in the way.

Back to the game, Elmira dominated this game from the opening
face-off.  Elmira was tenacious on offense and their goaltender
(sorry I can't remember his name) made some of the most spectacular
saves I have ever seen.  PS came as close as 5-3 midway through the
3rd period, but a shorthanded goal about 3 minutes later put the
game away.  Plattsburgh's crowd didn't really seem into it while
Elmira's fans were quite vocal.  But this maybe because I was on the
PS side therefore getting a better listen to Elmira.

The championship game was a great game.  Both teams exchanged goals
both in the 1st and 2nd period.  In the third, I thought River Falls
had the game won with about 4 minutes left as a goal made it 3-2.
This must have really woken up the Pointers as they buzzed the
Falcons for the next 2-1/2 minutes and after numerous chances
finally knotted the score up at 3 to force the OT.

Stevens Point didn't slow down and a bit and continued with great
pressure to open the OT period.  Tom Rowe explained the goal well
and you'll have to be satisfied with that description as it happened
so quickly and I was enjoying the celebration too much to really absorb
how the goal was scored.

I wouldn't say either goaltender had a great game because the
defense played so well in front of them.  Stevens Point did outshoot
River Falls by a lopsided 41 to 19, but I think most of Points shots
were outside the quality area.

I'm sorry I don't have the names of the players or a box score, but
I forgot to bring in a pen so I could take notes and someone stole
my program.  Oh well.

Thanks to everyone who provided directions to Aldrich Arena.  I
would have been completely lost without them.  And a final note on
Aldrich Arena, although it isn't very big, it is a great place to
watch a hockey game.  You're pretty close to the ice and the
proximaty of the fans to each other really provides for some
electricity.  All in all a very fun experience.

-Chris Skowen