From:
Robin Lock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robin Lock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1993 00:31:10 EDT
I'm reluctant to join the annual hockey-l battle of the bands, but I was
meaning to post something on this earlier.  I had the dubious fortune of
sitting directly in front of the Clarkson band when they visited SLU
recently.  It's the only game each year that I get reserved seat tickets
since my in-laws (both rabid Clarkson fans) come over for that game. When
the few reserved seat tickets go on sale it always seems that everyone asks
for anywhere but in front of the Clarkson band, but that's all that's ever
left. These have to be among the worst "home" seats in college hockey.
    This is not a very enjoyable palace to watch a game.  The band is VERY
loud (to my crotchety old ears) and, of course, gets excited at all the
"wrong" times (from an SLU fan's perspective!). They seemed to play
continually during the breaks between periods - eliminating any possibility
of actually speaking to the person sitting next to you.  They also appear to
wait for any PA announcement to be sure and drown it out.  Who cares who
scored or got assists anyway (or who left their lights on)?
    I had always thought that there were certain rules of etiquette between
"competing" bands at the same game.  Like "you play this stoppage of play
and we'll take the next one".  This did not appear to be the case as the
"visiting" band repeatedly struck up to attempt to drown out the "home"
band's efforts.  In this case, the "home" band was invited from a local
high school (SLU dorms were not open from break yet).  It was embarassing
to see these kids efforts spoiled by such behavior.
     Someone commented on the lack of noise from the SLU fans.  Two likely
reasons:  There was probably a larger proportion of Clarkson fans than usual
since they were in session and SLU wasn't.  It's tougher to make noise when
your team is playing poorly and losing 6-0!

I have two specific suggestions, short of an outright ban on bands-

(1) There's a block of seats that's already reserved for visiting team
supporters right behind the Clarkson bench.  Let the band sit among the other
Clarkson rooters where they can
    (a) Blast their own fans ears.
    (b) Not take up seats that other fans (SLU or Clarkson) might want.
It seems overly generous to me to supply opposing fans with TWO concentrated
rooting sections.

(2) Insist on some reasonable rules of decorum (e.g. alternating playing times)
If a band can't behave like reasonable guests, they should not be invited
back the next year.

Let me add that I also went to the SLU-Clarkson game at Cheel.  The band was
great there.  Nobody has to sit in front of them - except the goalie and he
gets to leave between periods (:>).  The band adds a lot to the atmosphere.
They sound much better from the other side of the rink.

Robin Lock
St. Lawrence University