From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 1992 15:20:45 EDT
Yale's Tim Taylor, although he probably is not widely known, is one of the
most respected college hockey coaches around, and I'm happy to see him
finally get the chance to coach the US Olympic hockey team.  With apologies
to other applicants like Walsh and Sauer, Taylor deserves this shot the most
-- especially considering the shoddy treatment he got when he applied for
the head coaching position with the 1992 Olympic team.  According to a
_Sports Illustrated_ article some months ago, despite having coached the
1991 US World Championship team to its first-ever appearance in the medal
round and having coached the US Canada Cup team to the finals for the first
time ever, Taylor was told by Olympic team officials that he was "not
assertive enough".

Taylor is expected to remain with the Elis next season, then to take a leave
of absence in 1993-94.  This will be his second Olympic coaching job; he was
an assistant with the 1980 US team, I believe.
--
Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and probably '94