From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 90 20:32:28 EST
Cornell emerged from its Tuesday night dust-up with Colgate as the only
unbeaten team in the ECAC, and in a three-way tie for first with Harvard and
St. Lawrence.  More on this game later.  Here are the scores from the ECAC's
midweek games:

     Colgate 4, CORNELL 4 (OT)
     Harvard 8, DARTMOUTH 1
     Princeton 6, ARMY 3
     ST. LAWRENCE 6, Clarkson 5 (OT)

Incidentally, Vermont did beat Middlebury on the day before Thanksgiving, by
a 5-4 score.

ECAC Standings as of 11/28/90:

                   League                       Overall
Team             W   L   T  Pts   GF   GA     W   L   T  Pts   GF   GA
Cornell          3   0   2    8   23   14     4   0   2   10   31   17
St.Lawrence      4   1   0    8   21   18     6   3   0   12   40   31
Harvard          4   1   0    8   34   10     4   3   0    8   35   16
Clarkson         3   1   1    7   25   19     7   1   1   15   57   31
Princeton        3   2   0    6   27   16     3   3   0    6   29   23
Vermont          2   2   1    5   18   16     3   5   1    7   31   37
Colgate          1   2   2    4   18   22     6   2   2   14   47   39
RPI              2   2   0    4   16   16     4   4   0    8   39   38
Yale             1   2   1    3   11   17     2   3   1    5   19   28
Army             1   3   1    3   14   22     3   4   2    8   38   34
Brown            0   3   1    1    8   24     0   4   2    2   15   37
Dartmouth        0   5   1    1   13   34     0   5   1    1   13   34

And now, about that game...

Colgate 4, Cornell 4 (OT)
     A tie against a slumping Colgate team doesn't look good for the Big Red
     on paper (or in the Instone ratings), but Colgate could very easily
     have won this game.  Cornell was pretty sloppy at times, giving the
     puck away a lot in their own zone, and Colgate was playing an
     aggressive forechecking game.  Cornell did bottle up Colgate in their
     own end on occasion, but not for long enough to take control of the
     game.

     The Big Red outshot the Red Raiders 15-6 in the first period, but wound
     up on the short end of a 2-1 score thanks to opportunistic play by
     Colgate and to a probable gift by referee John Galipeau.  Four minutes
     into the game, Colgate's Jamie Cooke stuffed the puck past goaltender
     Corrie D'Alessio during a goal-mouth scramble.  The thing is, the net
     was knocked off its moorings by another Colgate player, and from where
     I sat (behind that net), this appeared to have happened before the puck
     crossed the goal line.  Nevertheless, Galipeau ruled that the goal
     stood.  More controversy erupted midway through the first, when the
     light behind the Colgate net went on, indicating a Cornell goal.  Play
     continued, however, as Galipeau ruled that "the puck did not completely
     cross the goal line".  You can imagine the crowd's reaction to this
     announcement; however, a friend of mine who sat down at that end of the
     ice says she saw the puck ON the line, but not OVER it.  Anybody know
     what the TV replays, if any, showed?

     Cornell finally got on the board at 13:53 of the first.  With Colgate
     on the power play, Dan Ratushny cleared the puck from the Cornell zone,
     and it went between two Colgate players to Doug Derraugh, who was alone
     at center ice.  Derraugh skated in alone on Colgate goalie Ken Baker
     and backhanded the puck into the net for his 100th career point.  The
     tie only lasted 32 seconds, however, as the ever-dangerous Marc Dupere
     slapped a shot at D'Alessio.  The goalie made the save, but the long
     rebound went to Colgate's Brent Wilde, who put the Red Raiders up 2-1.

     In the second period, it was Colgate's turn to get a little sloppy, as
     defenseman Troy Mohns almost put one into his own goal -- his pass from
     behind the net banked off Baker's leg and rolled through the crease.
     After a lot of end-to-end action, the Big Red was able to tie the game
     up with a goal from the fourth line (on one of those occasions when the
     Big Red was able to keep the pressure on Colgate in their end).  Shaun
     Hannah fed Jim McPhee with a pass from the corner, and McPhee took a
     shot that trickled in off Baker's leg; both McPhee and Hannah recorded
     their first career points on the play.  Once again the tie was short-
     lived, and again Dupere was involved in the goal that put Colgate
     ahead.  A minute after McPhee scored, Cornell lost the puck in the
     Colgate end; Dale Band picked it up and raced down the ice on a 2-on-1
     with Dupere.  Band hit Dupere with a pass in front of the Cornell net,
     and Dupere flipped the puck over D'Alessio.  With 4:20 left in the
     period, Baker blocked a shot from Alex Nikolic, but the rebound went to
     Jason Vogel, who chopped at the puck and sent it into the net over the
     fallen goaltender.

     This time, Colgate took a little longer to break the tie -- until 6:06
     of the third.  Marcel Richard scored for the Red Raiders when he skated
     around a couple of Cornell players and uncorked a low slapshot from
     just across the blue line that beat D'Alessio on the glove side.  Less
     than six minutes later, however, the game was tied for the fourth and
     final time.  As he had done against Clarkson, Ryan Hughes picked up the
     game-tying goal on the power play, when he stuffed in a rebound of a
     Joe Dragon shot.  Both teams had some good scoring opportunities after
     that, but Baker (36 saves) and D'Alessio (26) came up big a number of
     times in the third period and overtime to preserve the 4-4 tie.

     Oh yes, and John Galipeau had some more interesting ideas in the third
     period, when a shoving match broke out with 53 seconds left.  Colgate
     defenseman Bob Haddock had his arm wrapped around Kent Manderville's
     neck when the officials came in to break the skirmish up.  After that,
     Haddock skated away and suddenly went after Dragon.  Haddock was given
     a roughing minor and a 10-minute misconduct, and Dragon also got a
     minor and a misconduct for getting in the way or something.  Overall,
     it was a bit of a shaky game for Mr. Galipeau.

This weekend's ECAC games:

Nov. 30
     Army at Vermont
     Clarkson at Brown
     Cornell at Harvard
     Princeton at RPI
     St. Lawrence at Yale

Dec. 1
     Army at RPI
     Clarkson at Yale
     Princeton at Vermont
     St. Lawrence at Brown

Dec. 2
     Colgate at Harvard

And the big game of the weekend is (drum roll):

Cornell at Harvard
     Not only is this a battle between two first-place teams, but this
     rivalry is perhaps the most heated in the ECAC (though Clarkson-St.
     Lawrence is no picnic either).  It won't help matters that the Crimson
     will be out for revenge after being unceremoniously booted from the
     playoffs last year by Cornell in the quarterfinals.  Harvard has beaten
     the Big Red in ten straight regular-season contests, and they seem to
     have their usual collection of talent (6.8 goals per game in the ECAC),
     so the Big Red better have used up their quota of sloppiness against
     Colgate last night.  One caveat I would offer to Harvard fans:  the
     Crimson's 4-1 ECAC record should be taken with a grain of salt, because
     the wins have all come against the ECAC's bottom four teams -- Brown,
     Yale, Army, and Dartmouth, who are a combined 2-13-4.  Harvard was
     beaten by fifth-place Princeton.

While I'm on the subject of Harvard, let me just add one minor detail to
Mike Machnik's description of the ECAC's travel partners:

>                                   The current pairings, designed
>    with geographical location in mind, are RPI-Vermont, Harvard-
>    Dartmouth, Brown-Yale, Colgate-Cornell, and Army-Princeton.
>    On a typical weekend, for example, Cornell will play at Harvard
>    the first night while Colgate plays at Dartmouth, then the next
>    night Colgate plays at Harvard and Cornell plays at Dartmouth.

This is ordinarily how the travel partner system works.  However, there are
a few quirks, and this weekend is one of them.  Dartmouth's academic
calendar consists of "terms" and they have exams at the beginning of
December, while Harvard's calendar is composed of semesters with an exam
break in mid-January.  Thus, for their first meetings, Cornell and Colgate
always play Harvard after Thanksgiving (while Dartmouth is off) and
Dartmouth in late January (while Harvard is off).  The return matches,
usually in mid-February, follow the normal travel partner system that Mike
mentioned.  Just a little incompatibility to liven the schedule up, I guess.

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86
LET'S GO RED!!

"They came out with that survey in _Newsweek_ last year -- did you see this?
 It said if you are a single woman over 30, there's a less than 20% chance
 you'll ever get married.  They should do another survey.  They should find
 out how many women over 30 ever bought _Newsweek_ again."
-- Rita Rudner