From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:42:33 -0700
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaah/news?slug=poulinresigns&prov=st&type=lgns

SOUTH BEND, Indiana (Ticker) - After a decade behind the bench for
Notre Dame, Dave Poulin is moving on.

Poulin on Friday announced his resignation as Notre Dame's men's hockey
coach in order to accept a position as the school's senior associate
athletic director for athletic development.

"I'm very excited about the challenge ahead of me," Poulin said. "I'm
looking forward to being a big part of Notre Dame's future."

"I could not be more excited about his transition to a very significant
development role, most immediately as it relates to our plans to
renovate the north dome of the Joyce Center and all that that will mean
for our hockey program," athletic director Kevin White said.

An alumnus of Notre Dame, Poulin accepted the coaching position after
retiring from the NHL in 1995. He led the Fighting Irish to a
139-197-50 record and the first appearance in the NCAA Tournament in
school history in 2003-04.

"I've had a wonderful 10 years coaching hockey at Notre Dame," said
Poulin, who is second on the school's all-time wins list. "Coaching
hockey brought me to Notre Dame, and it has been tremendous both for me
and my family. What stand out for me are the players I've coached and
the relationships I've had."

Poulin, 46, recorded 89 goals and 107 assists in 135 games during his
playing career at Notre Dame from 1978-82. He is tied for the school
mark with 13 game-winning tallies and eight hat tricks.

In 13 seasons in the NHL, Poulin appeared in 724 games with the
Philadelphia Flyers, Boston Bruins and Washington Capitals, collecting
205 goals and 325 assists.

The three-time All-Star won the Selke Trophy as the league's top
defensive forward in 1987 and the King Clancy Trophy for leadership
qualities on and off the ice in 1993 while making three appearances in
the Stanley Cup Finals, including two while serving as captain of the
Flyers.