From:
John T Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Apr 2005 11:05:36 -0600
On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Clay Satow wrote:

> If Columbus is a flop in terms of no-shows, I wonder if there will
> continue to be sellouts.  I'm guessing that there are three broad
> groups who enter the lottery.  There are die hards, like a lot of
> folks on this list who will go wherever the tournament is, or
> whoever is in it.  There are rabid fans of specific teams who want
> to make sure that they have tickets in the event that their team
> makes it.  And there are speculators.

I think you're dividing the groups too artificially.  I'm a relative
die-hard who will go if he can arrange it, and who bought a full set
of four tickets because there's never been a problem filling out a
group or selling extra tickets while I've been around.  Now I and a
friend in the same situation are stuck trying not to eat six extra
sets of tickets.  Not really a good situation.

In most years, the Frozen Four ticket situation has been at a good
balance: there was enough demand that anyone with extra tickets could
unload them, but not so much that someone willing to start looking a
few weeks to a month in advance couldn't find a set.  I've been
worried that the growth of the sport was going to mean the latter was
no longer true, but it looks like the pendulum has swung the other
way.

Is anybody else really glad the NCAA didn't go with that ridiculous
plan of scrapping the priority system and having people put in up to
ten applications to try to get tickets.  Can you imagine being stuck
with a dozen or more extra tickets this year?

                                          John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     http://www.amurgsval.org/joe/

Enjoy the latest Hockey Geek tools at slack.net/hockey