From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 17:11:32 -0500
On Nov 29, 15:16, Craig Roberts wrote:
>My understanding is that after five minutes of OT during a regular-season
game,
>the game is declared a tie. The NCAA allows for more OT to determine teams
>advancing in a tournament but, outside of the NCAA Tournament itself, NCAA
rules
>dictate a five-minute overtime period.

In the NCAA rulebook, Rule 6-46 lays out the time structure of the game (three
20-minute periods with 12 or 15-minute intermissions, etc.) and Rule 6-47
describes the procedure to use in the event of a tie at the end of regulation
(two-minute intermission, no resurfacing or change of ends, five minute OT,
first score wins).  Rule 6-48-a then states the following:

"Where advancement in a bracket or the determination of a tournament champion
is necessary, any series in a format (e.g., total-goals series, single game,
minigame series) that results in a tie shall be broken by 20-minute, sudden-
death overtime periods.   The ice shall be resurfaced upon completion of
regulation play.  The teams shall not change ends (except as indicated in Rule
6-44-b).  Third-place games may follow the overtime procedures as described in
Rule 6-47."

This is any tournament, regular- or post-season.

>I would, therefore, assume this to be a tie. I don't have a current NCAA book
at
>my desk but can find one and clarify what the rule would seem to be.

Last year, after Ohio State lost to Boston College in double-overtime in the
first round of the Ice Breaker tournament, Buckeye officials reportedly asked
the NCAA to rule on whether this would be considered a tie for post-season
selection purposes.  In this situation, the first OT was only five minutes.
 The final resolution from the NCAA was:

1)  There should not have been a five-minute OT played -- all OT's should have
been 20 minutes.

2)  The game would be recorded as a win for BC and a loss for Ohio State,
regardless of the fact that it took more than five minutes of overtime to
decide the issue.

To my knowledge, the rules have not changed.  A win is a win is a win, and a
loss is a loss is a loss.  (And a tie is a tie is a pain)

The Upset of the Year is that the SIT, after I don't know how many years of
trying, finally got their overtime format right (20-minute OT in the Cornell-
Niagara first-round game).  I wish the Cornell-Merrimack consolation game would
have gone to OT so we could have seen how they would have handled it.  Well,
there were other reasons why I was rooting for OT in that one :-(

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95                                             DJF  5/27/94
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  JCF  12/2/97
"I'm addicted to placebos.  I'd give them up, but it wouldn't make any
 difference."
-- Steven Wright