From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 17:31:27 -0400
Fair 'nuf Ken.

I doubt that there are 90 public high schools with girl's varsity teams.
Heck, I don't think that there are many more than 90 BOYS varsity teams in
Massachusetts.  So widespread, I agree with.  But I think that part of that
is because hockey isn't as public school centered back here as it is in
Minnesota.

I strongly suspect that eastern girl's hockey will evolve back here very
much like it has for the boys; the stronger players -- the D1 College
material -- migrate to the preps and to a few powerhouse programs, many of
them parochial schools.  Since you can change school hockey programs without
physically relocating, concentration of hockey talent is not only
understandable, it's almost inevitable.  So the sheer number of public
schools with hockey programs won't be a good measure, as it may be in
Minnesota.

With regard to the Minnesota policy, I don't consider it a crime against
nature or a personal insult.  I have a problem, though, when it's presented
as a sort of morally superior position, or as an inherent indication of the
superiority of Minnesota hockey (and I'm not saying that you're presenting
it that way). In my book it ain't either of those things

Clay