From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1992 10:57:12 EST
Brian Farenell writes:
>First off a point about rookies, someone mentioned UIC goalie Jon
>Hillebrandt as one of the nation's top rookies but how about Cornell
>netminder Parris Duffis and his @ 2.3 GAA.

Duffus has been a VERY pleasant surprise for the Big Red this season;
however, he is not a rookie.  He rode the bench for all but 37 minutes of
last season, behind the since-departed Corrie D'Alessio and Jim Crozier.

>This is an important point. Can anyone name any hockey program ever put on
>NC$$ probation? The only one I can think of is Div III (!) Plattsburgh St.,

Three Division I schools that I know of have been placed on NCAA probation.
The NCAA put UMass-Lowell on probation last March for some violations
regarding improper benefits (including the offering, during one game against
BU, of a cash bonus to the Chiefs if they won) and "unethical conduct" by
former coach Bill Riley.  The Chiefs are on probation until April 1993 and
cannot participate in the 1992 NCAA playoffs (although they apparently will
not be barred from the Hockey East tournament).  Denver and Cornell (!!)
were on probation in the mid-'70s.  In Cornell's case, a booster arranged
for a couple of recruits to go to Boston Garden for the 1973 ECAC Final Four
(so sue me), but since Cornell reported the violations on its own, the NCAA
went relatively light on them -- a year's probation.  I don't know what the
Denver violations were, but I believe they took the NCAA to court and even-
tually lost (in 1976?).  Anyway, Denver was barred from the NCAA playoffs
for a year or two, and I think the NCAA also removed the record of their
participation in the 1973 postseason as well.
--
Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and probably '94        |  [log in to unmask]