From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 02:45:19 -0500
> > The reasons most teams in the NHL aren't worth watching are three-fold: 1)
> Overexpansion,
>
> Possibly, although the expansion of the talent has kept pace with the number
> of NHL slots.  I'd put forward as the worse problem the "dilution of
> interest" -- it's simply more interesting to have 16 teams than 32.  More
> continuity and more tradition surrounds teams that way.  This is one more
> reason why the current (hopefully short-lived) over-expansion of Div. I is
> bad for the college game.

Great point all around ... dilution of talent is a bogus thought used for
convenience ... continuity is an important part of sports, I'm just not sure
there's anything we can do about the expansion, and I think one day it will all
level out.

> > The bogus idea that Bigger=Better (Eric Lindros proves that wrong every
> season)
>
> True enough, though Lindros --though the poster child for the trend -- is
> still an exceptional talent.

Lindros is very unfairly criticized.  I think he's outstanding -- his problem is
in letting the clutch and grab bother him too much, so that he gets off his game
by overzealously retaliating.

There's a lot better examples of the anti-bigger=better mentality.

> > The Major Juniors are putting out garbage-calibre talent.
>
> (Sound of buzzer for incorrect answer)  The top line on even a mediocre team
> in the WHL has more finesse, skating strength, and ability than the top line
> on any NCAA team.

I think this goes without saying -- and I was about to argue with Brian also,
until he pointed out the European and Russian (isn't that repetitive?) talent.
There was a big 15-part feature in the Canadian press about how bad the major
junior system is getting in producing talent.  Basically, the best skill guys
are coming from Europe these days.

It's a bit harsh to say major juniors are putting out garbage, but it's not
putting out enough skill players.

AW