From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 1998 21:11:56 -0500
> > Wouldn't it be nice to sit at your PC and be able to listen to any college
> hockey game in the country??????
>
> It'd be even nicer to be able to watch them.  I wonder whether compression
> technology will improve to the point where pushing all the video data across
> the band doesn't slow a normal system to a crawl.

I'm fairly sure cable modem technology, or something similar, will be readily
available within 2 years, and ubiquitous not long after that.

I think there are all sorts of bigger issues which come into play, such as ...

Who is going to be the major player in this?  The schools themselves or a third
party producer - or the two together?

Will the NCAA recognize the on-line medium as a separate entity and not an
extension of radio and/or television?

In relation to the above question, will the NCAA and/or AudioNet recognize the
need to grant exclusive arrangements to content producers in order to encourage
production of the games?  Without this, you often see one game with three
competing on-line streams, making revenue-creation impossible and discouraging
third-party producers.

If anyone wants more information on the above issues, please e-mail me ... we
are working behind the scenes to try and keep these issues in the minds of those
who should know.

AW