From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rowe, Thomas
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 11:18:24 -0600
Carol wrote:

> Well, *I* would mind if they left!!!  After all, Michigan Tech brings
> with it, to whatever league they participate in, the Mac Naughton Cup
> Trophy. Which just happens to be *the* finest hockey trophy I have
> ever
> seen...puts the Stanley Cup to shame.
>
> If Michigan Tech were to leave the WCHA...they would take the Cup with
> them. There is also the long-standing rivalry between the two schools
> that goes back decades. It would be sad to see them leave (again).

Well, who's to say we can't have a WCHA cup that puts the MacNaughton
Cup to shame?

As the development of hockey moves both South and West, and continues to
grow, we are eventually going to need to reshuffle the leagues.  I
foresee a time when there is a CCHA, a PCHA (Plains CHA), MCHA
(Mountain) and WCCHA (West Coast CHA), the latter 3 made up of the WCHA,
additions, and Alaska Fairbanks.  Or maybe the WCHA divided into two
subsets - Plains and Far West subdivisions.

The current leagues at one time were obviously based on geography.  The
WCHA is more spread out than the others for the simple reason that Div I
college hockey is more spread out in the West.  But it will grow.  I say
let MTU do whatever it wants - NMU did.  If they don't want a WCHA
affiliation, that's their problem, not ours.  And despite the costs and
travel difficulties, I would strongly urge the WCHA to invite
Alaska-Fairbanks to leave the CCHA and join us.  Add in Mankato and
Nebraska, maybe add in Air Force (if they want it) and lose MTU and we
have a nice 12 team league.

But I'll tell you one thing.  When the league grows (and I think its a
given it eventually will - maybe with another Dakota school or Montana)
we are going to have to eventually give up this 4 game scenario (2 each
home and home) or have a 42 game season or something.  There is nothing
inherently wrong with a two game series this year at home, their home
next year, or  finding travel partners to go to Colorado for CC/Denver
and switching off, etc.  And it that cuts in on rivalries, well, new
ones will take the place of lost ones.

Tom Rowe                                     [log in to unmask]
Home of Division 3 National Champion Pointers
                    89, 90, 91 & 93