From:
Nat Malen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nat Malen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 12:01:58 -0600
>Bottom line:  kids choose not to attend the U of MN for various reasons.
> Some feel like they have a better chance of standing out in a program not
>filled with MN H.S. all stars.  There are so many Div I quality players
>coming out of MN each year, that the gophers don't even have enough
>scholarships to cover them all.  The fact that 5 of ND's goals were scored by
>MN kids simply shows that MN kids do well wherever they play.  Look at the U
>of WI badgers...in a given year, half the team is from MN.  There will always
>be MN stars who choose to attend other schools.  I think that speaks more to
>the quality of H.S. hockey in MN than to Woog's lack of recruiting ability.

As for UWisconsin-  The year Mike Crowley was recruited, so was Joe Bianchi
from the same high school.  Joe ended up in Badger country.  Rick Enrico
played for Edina, also a star in high school.  From following the stories
that surround recruiting, there are a few trends.  First, some MN players go
to other schools by choice such as Cullen and Toby Peterson.  Toby flat out
like the reception and importance the players and coaches gave him when he
first made the visit to CC.  The gophers treated him like just another top
recruit, although heavily done so.  Second, some players have always wanted
to play for the gophers.  Dave Spehar.  Even though out of Twin Cities
metro, and from Duluth, he wants to be a gopher.

My two cents....

Nat Malen
University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire