From:
Joe LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 13:27:23 -0700
>> Rowe, Thomas <[log in to unmask]> 07/29/96
04:03pm >>>
Craig writes:

>Yet isn't the larger problem that of inconsistency
>through the game - sometimes calling a penalty and
>sometimes not for the same infraction?

True. and as a coach and player I shake my head
sometimes wondering.   When I refereed, I tried to be
consistent, but sometimes, I'd let a borderline call go
late in the game if it did not take away a scoring opp.
If that is inconsistent, I guess I was guilty.

>And for that matter, what about the strange idea that
> because "the game should be decided on the ice"
> that towards the end of a game the ref becomes
> reluctant to call penalties.  If its a penalty in period
> one, its a penalty in OT.

I'd hesitate to call a neutral zone hook late in a tight
game UNLESS it was taking away a scoring threat.
Slashes and cheap shots should always be called.

>>2. Linesman in the CCHA have the authority to call
penalties behind the play.
>>Normally these are two guys giving it to one
>> another up the ice. The linesman can also call
>> major penalties. .....Referees will tend to try and
>> cover for the other and usually more
>> questionable calls are made.

>So what is so terrible about that?  And if the linemen
>can call penalties, isn't that the same as a defacto 3
>ref system?

No, the linesmen can't call everything, just a few
things.  The ref can watch the play and the linesmen
make sure that the trailing players are behaving.

>Actually, that idea has more merit than one ref, two
> linemen.  If there is disagreement about a call, the
> 3rd ref can break the tie.

That'll take too long and it will look like nobody knows
what is going on.

>Hockey is a rough sport and it should stay that way.
> But its also a sport with rules, and those should be
> enforced, IMHO.  I say the more refs the better.
> Consistency comes from training and working
> together as a team.

Sick idea,  Why don't we have X number of referees
in the stands.  If a majority press the penalty button
within one second of each other, a penalty is imposed
upon the offending player.  Sorta like Olympic boxing
<retch!>.

I still feel the CCHA had (has?) the right idea.  Its
always fun to watch the games on PASS and listen to
Pitrokowski talk to the players.  Everybody knows
who's in charge.

Can't wait for the regular season.

Joe
Clarkson '77
If wierd things happen in the ECAC playoffs, there is a
99% chance Clarkson will be involved.