From:
Matt Wickey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Wickey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 1996 08:11:36 -0400
On May 4,  5:05pm, Nathaniel Cole Malen (Nat Malen) wrote:
> Subject: Re: Big 10 Rivalries
> >In so many ways, these really are the natural rivals for teams like
> >Minnesota and Wisconsin.  It's not even so much a size thing.  Even someone
> >like myself, for whom hockey is the number one sport, would really get
> >juiced at an extension of these rivalries into hockey.  The competition
> >built up in other sports and over so many years make these match-ups
> >something that games with most of the other WCHA teams can't equal.
> >Besides, I want a chance to pay Ohio State back for all the football
> >humiliation I've suffered.
>
> Amen to that!!!  So many rivalries in other sports could be rejuvenated with
> the new "expansion" we have been talking about.  Teams like Ohio State vs.
> Indiana, Indiana vs. Purdue, Michigan vs. Mich. St. (already exists), are
> just a few of the rivalries that can build up.  It would be nice to see,
> especially since Minnesota isn't particularily strong at other sports
> besides hockey.
>
> pondering thoughts.................
>-- End of excerpt from Nathaniel Cole Malen (Nat Malen)

You'll pardon me if I find this idea less than enticing.  I've said
it before and I'll say it again: as soon as we by into this Big 10,
media-centric view of college hockey, we'll lose a lot of what I find
attractive about it now.

When I read between the lines of Nat's post above, I see him saying that
we wouldn't be having this discussion if Minnesota were competitive in
any sport other than hockey.  Am I reading that wrong

--
Matt Wickey                                 LSSU 86
CIMLINC Inc.                                NCAA Champs 88 92 94