From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1991 15:30:53 EST
        Thanks for all who corresponded with me on this matter.
        Since *no one* was correct, including me, I'll not reprint
        those communications here.  Here's the real scoop ...

(1) Copyrighted works may not be reprinted on HOCKEY-L, though they may
    be summarized or brief quotes may be made as long as the source is
    credited.  Many magazines and other publications are copyrighted.

(2) *Almost no* newspaper articles are copyrighted.  In order for a work
    to be copyrighted, a copyright notice *must* be present. For example,

    Copyright (c) 1991 University of Maine System.  All Rights Reserved.

    Newspapers generally do not copyright their materials, but please
    take a quick look near the by-line or the cover page or the section
    that describes the publisher.  I have called my local newspapers;
    they are happy to have their articles "reprinted" as long as credit
    is given.

(3) Although you have no legal responsibility to credit articles that are
    not copyrighted, it is standard practice to do so.  The publication
    name and date or issue identification is all that is needed.

Soooo ...

        I apologize to Thomas and Carol and others for suggesting we had
        a problem;  I simply plead ignorance and concern for what I
        thought might have been a problem.

And ...

        Post away, folks!
        I look forward to hearing from your neck of the woods.

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
internet:     [log in to unmask]

P.S. November 1991 did break the record for HOCKEY-L postings:

     November 1991 - 21124 lines
     March    1990 - 20566 lines