From:
Keith Stokes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Stokes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 18:45:41 -0600
At 05:55 PM 1/30/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Ron Mason,  along with former AD Bud Cooper,  built the hockey program at
>LSSU (then C) from the GROUND.  There was no program with collegiate
>standing or affiliation.  In his first season,  Mason went 15-5-0.
>Granted,  there were some poundings of the now famous VFW Chippewas and
>the Wawa Travellers,  but it was a first-year program.

This post, last week, made me think about Dr Kenneth Shouldice's contributions.
Learning of his death later in the week, I wish I had found the time to reply.

It seems unlikely that Lake State would ever have achieved its level of program,
if they still had to compete(and get ice time) in a tiny facility on the other
side of Sault Ste Marie.

Dr Shouldice, then president of LSSC, managed to get funding for the Norris
Center in the mid 70s, when state funding was very dear. He deserves credit for
many of the schools successes.

  Keith