From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 17:53:05 EST
With all the crowing that's been on the list lately, I thought maybe I'd do a
little for the bedraggled stepchild the ECAC.  Looking at the RPICH, and adding
in the fact that Maine will not be included leads one to the possibility that
the ECAC has a realistic shot at three bids for the Big Show.  Vermont,
Clarkson and St. Lawrence are very close to holding the 10-12 places, and when
you add in the desire to incorporate some regional competition into the
tournament just may get the ECAC three bids, something which hasn't happened in
a while.  Obviously a lot can happen as all four leagues bash each other brains
out during February, but right now a case could be made for the CCHA garnering
four bids (guess who would be left out, buddy :-)  ) the WCHA three ( a virtual
lock, and, HE only two, if U Mass Lowell keeps it's afterburners on, and
Providence keeps its engines off).

More controversial will be the #2 East seed, but I still think it will go to an
Eastern team, I'd guess Vermont.  (It's generally not a good bet though to wager
much on the Catamounts when they hit the postseason--their track record is a bit
spotty.)

But of course, all of this is subject to change without notice.

My top five coaches has to include George Gwozdecky and Jeff Jackson, simply
because they are able to succeed at schools that don't have the advantages of
the traditional hockey powers.  Although Jackson took over an LSSU team that
was already nationally competitive, his coaching has maintained the Lakers as
a top five team year in and year out.  He is the only coach whose personal ho
hockey system is as important as the skills of his players in the team's su
success.  Gwoz simply takes programs that have never gone anywhere, at least
lately, and turn them into national contenders.  I'm surprised Gopher fans
haven't secretly whispered their desire for him to return and head up the
Minnesota hockey program.

The others are all blue chippers--Mason, Walsh, Berenson, but with the exception
of Walsh, they lead programs that are always competitive, and have the ability
to grab the big recruits by their name recognition alone.  Honorable mention
on my list would go to Don Lucia, who instills his teams with great offensive
instincts.  Any Don Lucia team is always great fun to watch.
Brian Morris                       RPI Engineers--it's a new year