From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 14:49:00 EST
Fun, fun, fun...(putting on my Mankato State hat...)

Red Berenson (Michigan) and Ron Mason (Michigan State) are out,
because you can't move them with dynamite.  Berenson has already
talked of retiring (in the local media) in about five years.  Shawn Walsh
(Beaver Plant Operations Inc) is out because, even though he would
win, I don't want to bring Walsh's baggage into my new program.  Jerry
Jones would hire him (hell, he hired Barry Switzer!) and win with him.
So, here's my five, with apologies to the great college coaches out
there that I know nothing about:

(1) Jeff Jackson (Lake Superior)
Face it, like him or not the guy can win.  He's experienced in every
aspect of running a college program.  (He's even experienced at
being AD.)

(2) Grant Standbrook (Maine)
Less baggage than Walsh.  Who has been landing all of the great
players Maine has had in the last decade?  He obviously doesn't
want to be the head man behind the bench, because he MUST have
received offers, but maybe building a program from scratch would
interest him.

(3) George Gwozdecky (Denver)
Young and talented.  He won a CCHA title (regular season) at Miami
with (at most) the third best talent in the conference.  He's returned
Denver to national prominence.

(4) Ric Schafer (Indiana-South Bend)
Admittedly a biased selection, but don't forget that Schafer built the
Alaska Fairbanks program and returned Notre Dame to the CCHA.
And, he wasn't dealing with a full deck.  Give him 18 scholarships
and a nice venue and lets see what he can do.  Another candidate
with some AD experience.

(5) Mike Machnik (whereabouts undisclosed)
Think about the increase in Hockey-L participation among Division I
coaches.  Plus, he's already versed in recruiting via the web. :-)

John H (U Mich) [log in to unmask]