From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 1996 12:20:00 EST
OHIO STATE 4 Michigan 4 OT (Friday)
Don't ask yourself how Ohio State managed to tie Michigan.
Ask how Michigan managed to tie Ohio State.  The Buckeyes
had a 4-2 lead in the final two minutes before running out of
gas.  Matt Shegos called absolutely nothing...three minors
on each team.  He let a lot go on both sides, but it was definitely
a game where Michigan would have benefited from a more
frequent whistle.  Not that OSU was guilty of more penalties...
Shegos could have called 10-12 minors on each team...but
putting more people in the box would have opened up more
space for the Wolverines, who are definitely the quicker, better
skating team.  However, in OSU's bandbox rink...which is only
marginally bigger than my basement, and I know how crowded
it gets skating down there...Michigan had little or no room to
operate.  Odd man rushes were non-existent (for UM).  Credit
OSU with a fine defensive game.  Also, I was shocked to see
that OSU netminder Kurt Brown made 44 saves.  I didn't think
that many had gotten through to him.  I thought that Michigan's
final shots were announced as 28, but it must have been 48.
Apologies to those I misinformed.

BOWLING GREEN 6 Michigan 5 (Saturday)
I have to immediately disagree with Nathan Boyle's comments
(posted to Info-H-L).  This may have looked like an intense effort
by the Wolverines, but it wasn't up to their usual level of intensity.
Both teams had spurts where they looked good, but Michigan
had far too many lapses, as evidenced by the final score.  I also
have to disagree with Dean Bell (Info-H-L comments).  Marty Turco
may have played his normal game, but it was far from great.
Admittedly, Turco saw more chances and more quality chances
this weekend than he's accustomed to, but he wasn't overly solid
in the net either night.  I don't point the finger at Turco for the result
either night, but both games were there for Marty to win if he would
have stepped up a little.  Michigan's big guns, Brendan Morrison,
Kevin Hilton and Jason Botterill, all struggled on the weekend.
Their chances were few and far between, and when they presented
themselves, the blue rarely capitalized.  Some credit to Mike Savard
in the Falcon net (as well as Kurt Brown from OSU) for that.  UM's
third line was the primary force in both games.  Mike Legg had
arguably his best weekend of the season.  Unofficially, I have Legg
at 3-3--6 over the two games.

I have to believe that, in the end, this game came down to desire
and hustle and BGSU displayed more of both.  The fact that Michigan
was never able to pull Turco at the end of the game is evidence of
that.  Bowling Green simply wouldn't let UM out of their own zone,
and in so doing earned the victory.  Btw...not only could Turco not
get to the bench, but Michigan was never able to get Brendan
Morrison's line on the ice, which they wanted to do in going for the
tying goal.  Morrison and mates had one leg over the boards with
about 30 seconds remaining, and they were still there when the
buzzer sounded.

If anyone has ever questioned it, there are certainly woof gods of
officiating as well.  Matt Shegos, who I've recently been touting as
the best ref in the CCHA, called both Michigan games this weekend
and sucked like a hoover deluxe both nights.  On Saturday, he had
that Roger Graff-ish quality of leaving both teams unhappy.  As he
did on Friday, he let almost everything go.  Sure, he called a lot more
penalties than he did on Friday, but believe it or not there were a lot
more penalties to be called on Saturday.  (Who'd of thunk that a
UM-OSU game would be so much cleaner than a UM-BGSU game?)
Bowling Green definitely held the upper hand in the special teams
department, so more whistles probably would have benefitted the
Falcons.  I'm sure BGSU fans have their favorite non-calls as well,
but from a UM perspective, Shegos missed 8 minutes worth of time
on Brett Punchard alone.  Punchard speared UM's John Madden
so clearly that you could make a video of it to show what constitutes
a major and game disqualification.  Shegos let it go.  Then, late in
the game, Shegos whistled Punchard for charging.  The home
crowd was upset that a call was made with about 3:00 left in a one-
goal game, but the severity of the hit and the location...right near the
end of the players' bench...not only warranted a call but warranted
five minutes.  But, the way BGSU was playing it was clear that they
weren't going to allow Michigan to score regardless of the man-power
situation.

The UM highlight of the weekend was probably Bubba Berenzweig
scoring his second goal of the season at OSU on Friday.  Given
that most people aren't devoted/stupid enough to drive to Columbus
on a Friday afternoon for what *on paper* looks to be an easy win
means that very few people can honestly claim to have witnessed
both of Bubba's markers.  Gotta love the kid, he's getting better and
better.  (You can't stop Bubba, you can only hope to contain him. :-)

And, by far the best comment from the weekend (and a nominee for
poignant comment of the year) came from former UM hockey SID
Marc Gregory.  Saturday night at BGSU.  I was sitting in the first row
behind the UM bench...close enough to smell the line changes, and
you know what I mean if you've ever sat near the bench.  Marc was
directly behind me.  With about 2:00 remaining, down by one and on
the power play, Michigan called timeout.  I leaned forward.  Marc
leaned forward.  I was trying to get a clear view of the play UM coach
Red Berenson was diagramming.  I assumed that Marc was doing
the same.  However, Marc, looking down at Berenson's feet, ever so
casually uttered, "Nice shoes."  Perfect delivery.  Perfect timing.  A+

Next up for Bowling Green is Lake Superior at home, including a
Travis Roy fundraiser at BGSU during the weekend.  Next up for
Michigan is Ohio State at home and possibly the first career start(s)
for Gregg Malicke in the UM net.

John H ([log in to unmask]) GO BLUE!
Late notes...Jeff W's boxes just came in while I was typing this post.
Officially, Legg did record 3-3--6 on the weekend.  The Saturday
penalties were 9 minors on BGSU and 8 minors on Michigan.  And,
Turco stopped 38 of 48 shots (20/24 at OSU, 18/24 at BGSU) for
a weekend save percentage of 79.2.  Ouch.  Michigan's opponents
stopped 76 of 85 (89.4%).