From:
"Tuthill, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tuthill, Richard
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 12:05:00 EST
     One of the primary criticisms of the two ref system has been that one
end of the ice gets called one way,  the other end of the ice gets called
another.   I may have missed whether or not this imperfection has been
discussed during the current exchange on this subject.

     At the UConn tournament three weeks ago,  I noticed something that I
had not seen before.   The refs were changing ends at every whistle  --
 presumably to counter any unintended biases.   Is that now standard
procedure these days  --  and if so,  for how long,  and how do we all feel
about the effects of doing it that way?

     I think that this method may well be criticized on the issue of
consistency,  if for no other reason,  despite the fact that it is
well-intentioned.   On one shift a player drills an opponent in front of the
ref and there is no call (for whatever).   Next time:  the same player,
 same type of check,  two minutes (for steps or whatever).   No consistency,
 level of player frustration rises,  etc.,  etc.,  etc.

     -- Dick Tuthill