From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 08:38:00 EST
Dave Hendrickson writes...
>Of course, the one thing that makes this totally *unlike* '93 and could in
>fact turn it into a '94 rerun is that Maine is out of the picture for the
>NC$$ tourney.  Which means that even a distant third in HE could be good
>enough for an invite (unlike '93).  Since each conference gets two bids,
then
>unless one of the other teams knocks off the top 3 to win the Hockey East
>tournament, Lowell stands to get a bid even if they're not in the top 12
>in the country.

I don't follow this logic.  Maine has taken themselves out of the NCAA
picture, not the NCAA.  If Maine is deserving of one of the twelve bids,
and I see no reason why they aren't, what is going to stop the NCAA
from inviting Maine?  Has the NCAA said that they will not extend
Maine an invitation?  If so, I missed it.  It's up to Maine to follow
through
and decline their NCAA invitation.  If they do (jeez, what egg they would
have on their face if they don't), I not aware of anything that says the
NCAA has to invite another Hockey East team to replace them.  If BU
or Maine win the Hockey East tournament, it's seems possible that
BU will be the only HEA team in the 1996 NCAA field.

Again, I may have missed something issued by the NCAA on this
matter.  Also, I personally believe that another HEA team...be it UML
or Providence, will be in the top 12/13 when all is said and done, so
the point will be moot.

However!...It's currently seems *possible* that the 1996 NCAA field
will have a 7-5 West-East split or even 8-4 if Maine drops out and is
replaced by a Western team.  Mathematically, 9-3 is possible, but
politically that would never happen, right?  Think about it.  I don't
think it will happen, but it's possible that the top 12 will consist of
four CCHA, two ECAC, two HEA (including Maine) and four WCHA
teams.  What if team 13 is also from the CCHA/WCHA.  (In practice,
this would likely mean Bowling Green and Minnesota-Duluth finishing
ahead of the third teams from the ECAC and HEA.)  Looking at the
RPI, St Lawrence (ECAC 3), Bowling Green (CCHA 5), Mass Lowell
(HEA 3), Providence (HEA 4) and Minnesota-Duluth (WCHA 4) are
currently sitting in spots 12-16.  Given the Maine situation, it seems
likely that two of them will get into the NCAA field.

Just a thought.

John H (U Mich) [log in to unmask]