From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 10:40:14 -0500
First off let me start off by saying that I believe that there are good
points and bad points about both the two ref system.  I think that one could
make a case for both of them.  Personally, I'd like to see the one ref
system for many of the same reasons that Adam Wodon suggested, most notably
a consistent game and no "dominant" official.

In being fair, I do think it needs to be noted that Hockey East does have
one very good pair of officials in Frank Cole and Drew Taylor.  If memory
serves me correctly, I believe Cole and Taylor officiated the NCAA
Championship game last season.  I also believe that they've done some ECAC
games in the past, so perhaps others could comment on them as well.

The best thing about Cole and Taylor in my mind is that the call about the
same game from start to finish, and they let the guys play for the most part
as well. I personally feel quite confident when I see Taylor and Cole take
the ice at the start of a game that I will see a relatively well officiated
game.  I say, "relatively" because I don't believe any official is perfect,
and above making a bad call.

The other good part about Cole and Taylor is that neither is more "dominant"
than the other IMO, going along with the point I made in the last paragraph,
that makes them very consistent.

As far as other officials, coming into this season my worst officiating crew
was the McBride/Fowkes crew, but I haven't seen them this year, are they
still working in HEA??  I wouldn't be surprised if they were not.  I also
believe that Scott Leavitt is the most "dominant" official in HEA.  He
normally works with Benedicto (sp?) and it seems like it's always Leavitt
yelling, making the calls (and taking the crap from the crowd).  Many times
Benedicto is seemingly invisible on the ice.  Now, I'm not saying Leavitt or
Benedicto are bad officials, they just make a horrible pair, and exemplify
Adam's point about dominant officiating.

Personally, I'd like to see more let go and more constant officiating.. take
the second set of arm-bands off.  College Hockey should be uniform in the
way they officiate anyways, this seperation is really for the birds IMHO
because it isn't exactly fair to the CCHA come playoff time.
Deron Treadwell                          e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Orono, Maine                                        Phone: (207) 581-6683
UMaine Hockey on the web:  http://maine.maine.edu/~dtread41/mehockey.html
  "It's not how you handle success, it's how you handle adversity." -SW