From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 18:59:48 EST
OK, I'm tired of hearing all you CCHA guys whine and moan about the two ref
system.  In fact, the only ones I have heard complain about "uneven officiating"
"missed offsides" or the like have been those of you who root for your local
CCHA affiliate.  I'd like to hear whether any other fans who follow the WCHA,
ECAC or HE think that the one ref/two linesmen system is superior to the two
ref/one lineman system used by everyone except the CCHA, including the almight
NC$$ frozen four.

Personally I think the quality of officiating improved greatly when the ECAFD

ECAC when to a two ref system.  A lot more of the stuff in the corners and
behind the play was picked up, and some additional interference calls were made
(although the NHL seems to be much more conscious of interference these days t
than the colleges.)  When I witness bad officiating it'l usually because one
of the refs is bad: Belanger with anyone (although he doesn't seem to be
garnering as much scorn of late) or that creep who did the RPI/UIC game
(Campanelli?).  OTOH when the pair has one ref who is consistently good, the
pair seems to have a good night.  No matter who is paired with Rob Hearn, it's
usually a consistent, albeit physical, night of hockey.  Granted I'm a Rob
Hearn fan, unlike the Swedes, but he does seem to have had an uplifting effect
on Harry Emmian.

When I watch a CCHA game, of course taped on slow play with all those co
commercials for RV outlets on the Upper Peninsula, I also seem to be asking why
didn't the refs call that? or he got away with only two minutes for that? (John
Hauessler has probably by now branded me as a fan of wimp hockey.)  But I do
have this impression that the CCHA calls fewer penalties than the ECAC and HE.
Can't generalize for the WCHA--I just don't see them enough.  Coudl be a more
physical style of play for the CCHA, but it could also be related to the one
ref system.

What's the consensus?  Pros and con?  And why does the CCHA stick with a system
that probably disadvantages them come tournament time?  Any takers?
Brian Morris                     RPI Engineers--it's a new year