Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 1996 01:13:43 -0600
Jeffrey Beyer wrote:
>With Whitworth's goal came the annual deluge of tennis balls aimed at Konte.
>(This tradition goes back to 1992, when Dartmouth fans, in response to a tennis
>ball showering of their goalie when the two teams played in New Jersey, fought
>back by pelting Princeton's goalie when the two teams faced off again that year
>in Hanover.
>Since then, the tradition has stuck: when the two teams play in New Hampshire,
>the tennis balls come down immediately after Dartmouth's first goal.)
>
>Incidentally, I would be interested in what other Hockey-L'ers opinions are of
>this tradition, and how you all feel this compares with, say, the Cornell fish
>tradition during the Harvard game at Lynah.

I think it is absolutely inappropriate.  It's not just the NY Giants
football game recently that demonstrates the way this kind of thing can get
out of hand.  Any fan that throws an object on the ice (and I include hats
thrown for hat tricks in this) should immediately be escorted out of the
arena.  Keep your enthusiasm in the stands.  If their is any sort of
organized or recurrent incidents, the home team should be assessed a
penalty.  This sort of thing is dangerous and unsportsmanlike.  Kepp your
garbage in the seats.

J. Michael Jackson