From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 1991 13:09:53 EST
Harvard 7, Union 5.
Achilles Rink, Schenectady, NY.
Fri 11/15/91

Harvard University Crimson      1 4 2 - 7
Union College Skating Dutchmen  0 3 2 - 5

Scoring:
1st period-
1) H, Farrell 1 (Sneddon, Maguire), 12:51 (pp)

2nd period-
2) H, Farrell 2 (Maguire), 0:47 (pp)
3) U, Craig Ferrero 3 (Scott Whitney, Alex MacLellan), 2:47
4) H, Sneddon 1 (Maguire, Flomenhoft), 7:45 (pp)
5) H, Coughlin 1 (Martins, McCann), 8:35
6) H, Coughlin 2 (McCann), 13:41 (sh)
7) U, Rick Clifford 1 (Rich Burchill, Whitney), 15:49 (pp)
8) U, Bill McKenna 1 (Whitney, Jayson Flowers), 19:34

3rd period-
9) U, Bill Railton 2 (Chris Albert, Ferrero), 4:43
10) H, Coady 1 (Breistroff, Body), 6:47
11) U, Clifford 2 (Tim Cregan, Jeff Jiampetti), 17:42
12) H, Flomenhoft 1 (Burke, DeFreitas), 19:58 (en)

Shots on goal: Harvard 17-18-12--53, Union 5-9-7--21.

Power Play: Harvard 3 of 9, Union 1 of 5.

Goaltending: Harvard, Chuckie Hughes, 1-0-0 (22 shots, 16 saves)
	     Union, Luigi Villa, 0-2-0 (52 shots, 46 saves)

Attendance: 2504 (capacity, but there were many more in the rink...)

Referee: Pierre Belanger

Game Summary:

Union came back to within one goal late in the third period after
trailing 5-1, but fell short, losing to Harvard 7-5.  The crowd,
officially listed as 2504, but clearly much larger, saw Harvard
outshoot Union 53-21 in a penalty-filled game.  Referee Pierre
Belanger seemed to call everything, which was frustrating for
both teams, especially in the first period.  24 two-minute minors were
handed out, 11 in the first period alone.  Three ten-minute
misconducts were called, 2 on Harvard, one on Union, following the
post-goal celebration on Union's 5th goal.

Harvard proved they were the better team, but the Dutchmen battled
back and made a great game out of it.  It was not decided until an
empty-netter with just 2 seconds left.

Harvard scored 3 goals on their 9 power plays, and if not for some
very good defense by the Dutchmen penalty kill and some good
goaltending from freshman Luigi Villa, it could have been much worse.
On one play with Union on the power play, when Sean McCann dumped the
puck into Union's zone, and the puck caromed right into the slot,
where Ben Coughlin was all alone and easily put the puck past Villa.
This was just one of the lessons that Union learned the hard way
against Harvard.  They still have been waiting for the perfect set up,
giving up a shot to go for a pass.  But in all three games, the passes
have been broken up and the Dutchmen don't get a shot off.

Union falls to 0-2 in the ECAC and 0-3 overall.  Harvard is 1-0.

The crowd was easily the best (largest and loudest) I've ever seen at
Achilles.  Even better than the RPI game 3 years ago.  Tonight's game
against Brown should be another sellout.  Union will start freshman
Mike Gallant in goal, who was impressive in his first start, at UVM
last Saturday.  If they can stay out of the box, hopefully the Dutchmen
can earn their first win of the season tonight against Brown, which
lost 4-1 at RPI last night.

--
| Jim Teresco			Union College                                 |
| [log in to unmask]	Schenectady, NY 12308			      |