From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1991 22:15:18 GMT
First, I want to reiterate my congrats to ND and the CCHA for this good news.

>University of Notre Dame athletic director Dick Rosenthal said the decision to
>apply for membership was one reviewed in great depth by the administration of
>the University.  "We consider the CCHA to be one of the great hockey leagues
>in the country and we believe it to be a genuine privilege to join in
>membership with the other marvelous institutions of the CCHA," added
>Rosenthal.

What are the leagues that aren't great?  I don't think anyone can justify
saying that any of them aren't great, so why say that the CCHA is one of the
great leagues?  And I don't blame ND; Kent, Merrimack, and Union all said it
when joining their respective conferences.  I believe that Kent and Merrimack
even went so far as to claim that the leagues they were joining were THE best
leagues in the country.  Clearly Merrimack wasn't going to join the WCHA or
CCHA.  But what basis can there be for claiming that one is "the best"?  I
don't think any of this is useful at a time when the conferences should be
putting aside their differences to fight the unfair regulations being forced
upon them from schools that don't even play DivI hockey like Florida State
and Texas.

Personally, I think that any of the four DivI conferences are run a whole
lot better than the NHL is.

- mike