From:
"Barkan, Jon" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barkan, Jon
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 10:06:00 PST
Jason Moy wrote....

Why?  Because no matter how much you follow a team, a listener will always
enjoy a great play, no matter which team does it!

I've been on this soapbox a little too long, and maybe I should step down,
but it seems to me that when people come up to me and criticize me for
being excited when a goal is scored for the team playing RPI, I explain
this broadcast non-bias, and nobody seems to understand.  Ah who knows?...

As someone who did the Northeastern hockey games in college and have
actually been blessed with the honor of working last year's BU-LSSU with the
legendary Bill Crawford let me say this.......hometown people love hometown
bias.......it's just a fact!!!
Crawford is one of the best in the college hockey game and if you have ever
heard him do a game.....you know that he can be both fair and biased at the
same time and in the same breath......But he puts a refreshing spin on the
game for the people back in the Soo.....

You need to blend your biast views with the game and what's going on......if
you feel that you team got screwed by the refs (and Crawford usually does),
let the fans know......they have trust in what you say and think.....if they
didn't, they wouldn't be listening.....

Others biased, but fair announcers I can think of that I've heard do a game
are Jim Hunt of Michigan, any and all Wisconsin radio personality. But then,
at the other end of the spectrum is Kenny Landau of MSU......any more biast
and his green blood will pour through the radio....

Anyway, it's a part of the game.....and I love it when I hear good, clean,
bias on the airwaves.....

By the by, can someone tape Machnik for me.....I think the last time he did
radio was when the NU radio station was down on the ice for the Hockey
Finals in 1988.........Two words----Marty Raus.....

Yours in the Bond of Chaos in College Hockey,
Jon Barkan
PS "Hockey is a slippery game, played on ice!" Jack Parker