From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 1995 08:22:00 EST
I don't have anything new to add ('cept for one more case
for our not-so-scientific sample), but I can't resist chiming in.

I've never been mistaken for a real hockey player :-), but I
do lace up the skates (one form or another) about 90-120
times a year...mostly to play roller hockey.  I'm another
natural right-hander that shoots left-handed.  From the first
time I picked up a stick, lefty was simply more comfortable.
I totally concur with other posters that feel this arrangement
leads to better stickhandling and pokechecking abilities.

I play left defense and, given that you can't (legally) stand
up the opposition at the blueline or crush them into the boards
in my league, roller hockey defense is a combination of
positioning and pokechecking.  I live and die by the latter.
My philosophy is to overplay the inside (center), so if the
oncoming player is going to get around me he/she is at
least going to have to take a longer route. :-)

As time passes, I'm also becoming a much better stickhandler.
I can't receive a pass and finish a play for the life of me, but
I can carry the puck and deliver a pass.  Also, being a lefty
at LD, I generally (80%+) am making the lead or breakout
pass out of the defensive zone with my forehand.

The primary disadvantage that I have, save for lack of natural
talent, is playing the left point in the offensive zone.  I don't have
the classic Iafrate-MacInnis booming shot, but I enjoy ripping
one from inside the blueline every now and then.  However, for
this I'd prefer to have the lane a right-hander at the left point
would have (more toward the center of the ice).  Unfortunately,
if I slide too much toward the center to set myself up for a better
point shot, I'm more susceptible to being beaten defensively
up the side.

Lastly, although it seems like most Hockey-Lers are natural
righties that shoot left-handed, I believe I'm the only such player
on my team.  The majority of the folks I play with are 16-25 years
old, and 80%-90% of them are right-handed/right shooters.  I
notice this because I never have to loan anyone a stick if they
break theirs. :-)

John H ([log in to unmask])