From:
Thomas Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 12:24:49 EST
What about those Redskins?  I'm really surprised they are doing so poorly.
IMO Mazzoleni is a H*** of a good coach and based on how he was at Point I can
imagine the players are getting an earfull.  The man does have a temper
problem.  So what's going on?  Why are they struggling so?

Tom Rowe                                 Internet:  [log in to unmask]

Well, first off, Miami has played some very tough opponents, namely Michigan an
d Vermont. They should have won their first game against Michigan, put pointles
s penalties killed them. Miami's defense has been lacking which is surprising
considering that Coach Mazzoleni is a defensive minded coach. They have been
allowing too many odd man rushes against them. Another thing is they don't play
 Trevor Prior enough. I know that it is college, and the senior goalies deserve
 their fair time on the ice due to their dedicated hard work, but Trevor is by
far a superior goalie to either of the seniors. Besides the occasional lax on
defense, I have seen some good defensive plays, especially sliding to block the
 puck. I think dropping down to block the puck is the most effective defense,
and this should be worked on a little bit more.
Miami's offense has looked very strong. They have great speed coming out of the
 defensive zone, and just need a little bit more puck control on these rushes a
nd they will become a serious offensive force. This will come with time and add
ed maturity on this young (mostly freshman) team. Randy Robitaille is leading
the CCHA with points, and Kevyn Adams is still showing why he was drafted by
Boston Bruins after his Freshman year. Give this team some time to jell togethe
r as a team, and I think they will be right up towards the top. I wouldn't doub
t if Coach Mazzoleni can whip this team into Final Four contenders.

Chad Wertley
Hoping to be known as Coach Wertley in the NHL one day.
GO REDSKINS