From:
Antony Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Antony Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 01:39:16 -0500
Brian Morris writes:
When you talk about goading a goalie, and of course "snowing" him, I
immediately think of Steve Martins from Harvard.  In his freshman year he
was pretty much a speedster, but by his senior year he learned that his
reputation allowed him to get away with a lot of stuff, especially
running goalies.  Not that I am criticising Martins, he would have been
stupid not to use whatever advantage he could to get a team off its game.
[end of quoted material]

This is a bit off the subject of running goalies, but, with all due
respect to Brian (and the disclaimer that I may be accused of being
partial!), I disagree.  I have seen many Harvard games between 1992 and
1995 and I can testify that Martins did not make a habit of running
goalies.  Steve Martins is not only a speedster, but also a very skillful
playmaker and scorer who didn't need to resort to such tactics "to get a
team off its game."  Perhaps you are alluding to his infamous "snowing"
of Mike Tamburro at the Fieldhouse last season during the Freakout.  I
admit, if I were an RPI fan I'd be convinced that he did it
intentionally.  But all I saw was Martins trying to stop from colliding
into Tamburro, who was prone in the crease covering up the puck.  In
other words, he was trying to NOT run the goalie.  Yeesh! -- damned if
you do, damned if you don't! ;)
Tony
Go Crimson!
(1-1-1, 1-1-1)