From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 1995 14:44:51 -0500
Paul Thalacker writes:

>The following article was written by Patrick Reusse, columnist for the
>Minneapolis Star-Tribune, on August 13.

<<rest of post deleted>>

Here are a few more quotes on Minnnesota recruiting, from the St. Paul
Pioneer Press of April 16, 1995:

   ***

    "It's funny that this question is always brought up only when the
Gophers lose.  You do not have to apologize for playing kids from Minnesota.
They can play and win, and have done it before."

    "The fact that the Gophers are playing only Minnesota kids is no big
deal.  Over the last 40 years, maybe 10 or so players were from outside the
state."

    "Today there are more than 170 Minnesota high school grads playing
Division 1 hockey in the United States, and there are more capable if given
the chance."

    "The statement that we are playing only Minnesota kids, to me, has a
ring of altruism.  You're not being a martyr by playing our kids.  Those are
the facts."

    "I don't want to see anybody stop believing in our Minnesota kids.  What
we need now more than at any other time is continued opportunities and
expansion of Division 1 hockey in the country.  We've got to take care of
our kids."

 ***

The source of the quotes?  Herb Brooks.  You've probably heard of him.  If
it's good enough for Herbie, it's good enough for me.

ENOUGH OF THIS NONSENSE!  DROP THE PUCK!

-- Erik

And now, a word from our sponsor.