From:
Kurt Jaeger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kurt Jaeger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 18:00:56 -0500
RPI certainly has a VERY strong pep band tradition.  I remember them from as
ocupying a platform with a band shell behind the RPI goal.  From there they
managed to fill the entire 5000 seat Huston Field House.  They weren't
particularly musical but they were sure enthusiatic.  Their motto then, as now,
was "LOUD IS GOOD!".

Although I cannot, unfortunately, speak from recent personal experience the
tradition appears to be stronger than ever.  The RPI pep band now has their own
home page and claims to have over 200 members!!!  Wow!

The RPI pep band is a club which is financed through the student union (as are
all clubs at Rensselaer).  The members must pay to join and their primary
benefit is that they get free admission to home and away games.  The number of
band members who got to travel to away games was (and I presume still is)
limited depending on the distance traveled and the size of the away facilities.
I last saw them at Princeton in 1985 and they were sure enthusiastic then (for
obvious good reasons).

Kurt Jaeger
Rensselaer '81 & '83