From:
paul thalacker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
paul thalacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 13:53:09 -0500
Regarding pep bands in college hockey, as far as the WCHA goes, many
teams have excellent pep bands, and rock music is only played at a few
arenas as far as I know.
From my observations, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan Tech have the
largest pep bands in the WCHA.  All are very dominant in leading chants and
cheers, and play a lot during games.  Other schools with smaller bands
include Minnesota-Duluth, Northern Michigan, and North Dakota.  I'm not
sure about Denver and CC.  St. Cloud St. doesn't have one, but they play a
TON of rock music.
At Minnesota-Duluth a few years back, some students tried to get rock
music played during games to liven things up because the band was very
poor and small.  The old-fashioned administration shot-down the idea
after a brief trial run, even though most fans liked the added festivity
of music.

Paul Thalacker
Go UMD Bulldogs!