From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 1995 09:58:44 EDT
David asked part ..
>I have been reading all the talk about all the schools that want to move up
>to D1 while playing in the ECAC West and East.  I think this is great, but I
>have a question.  What makes one team, such as Niagara a Div 1 team, while
>one of its ECAC counterparts, such as Salem State, is Div 3?  Is it
>something to do with scholarships?  Or non league games against other Div 1
>teams?  Also, if they are not eligible to play in the D1 tourney, can they
>play in the 2 or 3?

Most of these questions are answered in the most recent (April 95) issue
of U.S.  College Hockey Magazine.  Chris Lerch wrote an article entitled
"Faceoff with ...  Brian Cavanaugh" (both Chris and Brian are HOCKEY-L
and HOCKEY3 participants).  The theme of the article is captured in the
subtitle "Caught between Division I and Div.  2-3.  the Canisius College
coach has nonetheless found a way to keep his Ice Griffs winning".

I won't attempt a complete answer here, but perhaps others might care to
elaborate.  Basically, the each college/university is associated with
one and only one NCAA Division.  All teams, with few exceptions, are
expected to play in that division and are eligible only for the NCAA
tournament of that division.  There is certainly interdivisional play as
you have noted.  Some Division I schools field a hockey program without
a chance to compete with the more well-funded 18-scholarship teams, so
they join regional conferences with D2-3 schools.

Hope this helps,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]

LISTSERV Gem: File Update Inform (FUI)
LISTSERV can tell you when a file in the HOCKEY-L archives changes.  For
example, to learn of changes to file 9596MCMP SCHEDULE, send this command
to [log in to unmask]: FUI ADD 9596MCMP SCHEDULE

For more information, send the command HELP to [log in to unmask]