From:
"G. M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 May 1995 11:44:27 -0400
Andy wrote:
>As far as Anson Carter goes, it didn't look to me like there was a lot of
>racial tension that he had to grow up with in the sport. When you're
>from Canada, you grow up with hockey no matter what the color of your
>skin is. The only tension probably came at Michigan St. I don't Anson
>personally, but I think by that time in his life, he'd know how deal
>with whatever racial situations he encountered.

My only complaint here is a small clarification.  The only tension has come
for Anson WHILE PLAYING FOR Michigan St., not necessarily AT Michigan St.

I remember Anson's first home game clearly.  He wasn't met with any racial
jeers as far as I could ascertain.  He met the same sort of question that all
freshmen face when they begin their college careers, especially at a place with
the traditions of Michigan State: "How good is he?"  There may have been a
little more of a question mark because of the racial question, but I don't
believe Spartan fans were out to make Anson prove himself any more than any
of the other freshmen.

Fortunately for everyone, Anson proved what kind of player he is on the ice as
well as off.  (If that comes off as condescending, it isn't.)  He has become
not only one of the best players of African descent to play college hockey, he
is one of the best of all players to play college hockey.  Many of us here in
Spartan country (and I can't speak for all) don't view Anson Carter as "the
black kid from Ontario" (no slur intended) but as our first-line center and
one of the most dangerous players with the puck in college hockey.  Opposing
teams don't focus on Anson because he's black; they focus on him because he's
a threat to score at almost any time (evidence: tops in the nation in short-
handed goals).

While the special highlighted Grier's and Carter's contributions to getting
more minorities to play college hockey, I think it underemphasized the impact
those two have had on the entire game, not because of their race, but because
of their abilities.  If it gives some in the minority community the incentive
to play college hockey, great.  But it showed (and could have done more, IMO)
how some of the best in the game are on and off the ice.  And, in the end,
that is the more important lesson.

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University