From:
Brian Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 1995 21:45:31 GMT
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: I'd be very appreciative if someone could explain Title IX to me in detail
: so I can better understand the current discussion, thanks!

I can't help but plug the Title IX Library available on Heraldsphere, the
online WWW service of The Brown Daily Herald.  The Title IX Library features
a timeline of all the action in the Brown case as well as every story ever
written about the actual court case that has appeared in The Herald.
Point your browser to:

<URL:http://www.netspace.org/herald/tchest/titleix/>

The following is an excerpt from _Title IX Case Q&A_, The Brown Daily Herald,
April 4, 1995.

---Begin quoted part---
What is Title IX?

Title IX, part of the 1972 Federal Education Amendments,
prohibits gender-based discrimination in any program offered by an
institution of higher education that receives federal funding. Athletics
is one of these programs.

What were the main issues in the [Brown] case, and what did the judge decide?

The plaintiffs contended that Brown does not provide enough opportunities
for women to participate in athletics. They cited an Office Of Civil Rights
interpretation of Title IX which mandates that the ratio of male to female
athletes must be "substantially proportionate" to the ratio of male to
female undergraduates.

The University centered its arguments on a different part of the same
document, stating its athletic program "fully and effectively accommodated
the [athletic] interests and abilities" of its students, thereby complying
with Title IX.

Judge Pettine ruled that because the University's ratio of athletes fails to
"substantially mirror" its ratio of students, Brown violates Title IX.
In addition, he ruled that Brown is not providing athletic opportunities
for many interested women, also a breach of Title IX.
---End quoted part---

Hope this helps. If you want more info, and you don't have web access, feel
free to mail me and I'll see what I can do.

-Brian Fisk

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."  -- Bill Gates, 1981
-- Brian Fisk * [log in to unmask] * <URL:http://www.netspace.org/users/bfisk> --