From:
Andrew Brecher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Brecher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 1995 23:03:03 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Gary Hatfield
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Just a few thoughts on the "unfair" RPI.  Any ranking formula will
>have strength of schedule or it will not.  If the NCAA only considered
>winning %, then there would be no incentive to play Michigan or Maine
>when you could schedule Kent State or US international instead (names
>picked to avoided getting flamed).  We would see the kind of silly
>nonconference scheduling that we used to see in college hoops.  On the
>other hand, I cannot think of a system that rewards strength of schedule
>that could avoid the leap-frogging problem.

I think an ideal system would be something like this:

A team gains points for each win.  More points for beating a better team.
A team loses points for each loss.  More points for losing to a worse team.
Ties would probably average the two.

I don't know how this would be constructed, but it doesn't seem that hard.
Maybe I'll work on it over spring break...

--

- Andrew Brecher ([log in to unmask])  <insert disclaimer here>