From:
Carl Sussman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carl Sussman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 1995 21:58:42 EST
As a loyal--but now somewhat embarassed--Brown fan, I must respond to Mr. Thomp
son's post:
Even granting your assertion that Princeton played clutch and grab hockey to n
eutralize Brown's speed (and I think 4 on 4 and 3 on 3 play showed that BOTH te
ams have a lot of speed and skil), your implication that Princeton did not "pla
y like men" is ridiculous.  A good team beats its opponents no matter what stra
tegy they use.  As Mr. Howell (I believe it was him) pointed out, a skilled tea
m can actually turn the clutching and grabbing of an opponent to its advantage.
If you want to learn how a good team beats clutch and grab, look what Clarkson
did to Brown at Meehan.  Clarkson players rushed into open ice where, more ofte
n than not, crisp and deadly acurate passes found them.  Was it unmanly of Clar
kson to skate around our defensemen instead of through them?  If so, then I gue
ss "men" aren't very good hockey players.
Brown lost to a team which outplayed us.  Let's accept that and stop the silly
name calling.  I believe Mr. S pointed out that Scott Bradford had two chances
to end the game in OT.  True, but he didn't.  He's a very good player, but he j
ust didn't.  (Should've read Mr. Small--not Mr. S)  Brush had his chance and he
did.  Either he made a slightly better play, or Audette made a slightly worse o
ne (I tend to think it was the former).  But at any rate, it was better and Pri
nceton won--they deserved to win.  If we played tomorrow, there's an excellent
chance they'd win again.  Maybe if we played 10 games each team would win 5 tim
es, but they didn't--they played a three game series and Princeton won twice.
Finally, I want to again thank the Brown players for a great season and for all
 their efforts.  They have brought credit to themselves and their university.
I hope the same can be said for their fans.
                                              Ever true to Brown,
                                              Carl Sussman '96