From:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 1995 02:24:12 EST
As usual, I will agree with Geoff Howell on a number of things -- most of
which, his assessment of the refereeing.  Taylor and Stewart did a very
commendable job in an exhausting three-game series.  IT can't be easy to deal
with three straight games with Brown.  Princeton is no angel here, but it's no
secret that Brown makes cross-checking, clawing, hooking and hitting after the
whistle an artform.  They hold a part of a ton of penalty minute records.
Personally, I think it's a shame they think they have to do that to win,
because I think they have some talented players, especially Mulhern.  But like
Martins, he hurts his team when in the box.

I will VEHEMENTLY disagree on two-game total goals series.  As far as I'm
concerned, a win is a win.  When we start valuing wins by goal differential, I
think it becomes as arbitrary as a shootout.  I think unless you go to one-game
series, this is the only way to do it.  Maybe you think watching two tired
teams skating around is as arbitrary as a shootout, but I saw a lot of heart
and determination, and a lot of goal chances.  The defenses were great, the
goaltending was great, and the forechecking was still solid.  That's good
all-around hockey in my book.  It was nice to see the goonery gone after the
first period.

As for the goaltending situation at Brown, anyone who saw Parsons on Friday
would not have gone back to him.  He was brutal.  He was off-balance, he was
giving up huge rebounds.  Audette wasn't great in game 2, he only faced 15
shots and the only two tough ones went in.  He didn't impress me, but he gave
the team a lift, and Gaudet had no choice in my book.

Finally to Martin Small:  I know you were sitting in front of me, so I know you
were theoretically watching the same game, but you CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!!!
   "Cahoon blew his lid"
     NOBODY yaps and yaps and yaps at the refs like Gaudet.  No one is in his league.
    All the calls made by the refs worked.  The game settled down after the first.
    "Princeton really likes to clutch and grab"
    Now I know that you couldn't have been to many Brown games this year.
Princeton would love nothing more than to skate around with their speed.  Brown
is infamous for their cheap-shot tactics.  I'm not even putting them down, I'm
just telling you the truth.  They have it down to an art.  Take a look at the
highest two-team penalty totals in the league this year and ALL the games
involve Brown.  This is hardly a coincidence.  If you don't think Brown was
running at players Saturday, I don't know where you were.  Princeton had to run
at them back in order to survive.  I suppose Eric Trach never cheap-shotted
anyone. Or Mulhern, or Traggio.  How about the charge of Konte?  Are you sure
you've seen Brown play?
     Gaudet is a GREAT guy off the ice, but if he is complaining about
Princeton, it's the pot calling the kettle black --- It's like the Boston
Celtics calling the Wall Street Journal racist (just kidding).

    Sorry, but that post was too easy of a flame!!!

AW
Going to Lake Placid