From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 1995 15:15:00 EST
As posted, MICHIGAN 4 Ohio State 0.

Marty Turco gets his second career shutout in as
many weeks.  Mike Knuble finishes his Yost career
with back-to-back hat tricks, giving him 33 goals in
31 games this season and 98 goals in his career,
to date.  And Ron Sacka (like Knuble, a senior) goes
out in typical Sacka style...scoring the final goal with
a head-first, all-or-nothing, sheer heart and determination
(the hallmark of Sacka's style) dive at a loose puck
in the OSU crease.

Although Michigan dominated the shots, the game
was a good (and close) one.  I think Michigan got the
best of the officiating (Roger "don't call me Steffi" Graff),
or the game may have even been closer.

I spoke with a couple OSU fans regarding the coaching
situation there.  It appears that no one (players and fans
alike) shed tears at Jerry Welsh's departure.  Everyone
concerned seems to like interim coach John Markell and
the players respond to him well.  The folks I spoke to
were hopeful that the administration would give Markell
at least a full season in command, rather than go after a
more recognizable name to coach the team in 1995-96.

To close the Buckeye season, goaltender Tom Askey
was huge.  You have to feel for OSU netminders.  They
can stand on their head and still expect 4-0 losses.  OSU
captain Steve Richards' career should have ended in
the second period when he physically charged the referee,
but Graff didn't toss him.  999 times out of 1000, Richards
is gone and suspended for his actions.  Either Graff showed
some compassion and allowed Richards to finish his final
game (he did give him a 10-minute misconduct), or Graff
is just a bozo.  Probably a combination of the above.

And, I still think that bananas are the staple of Craig
Paterson's (OSU defenseman) diet.

John H
U Mich