From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 1995 03:08:25 -0500
Taken from the Lawrence Eagle-Tribune, Saturday, March 11, 1995.

MERRIMACK HOPING FOR BIG UPSET TOMORROW
by Hector Longo
Eagle-Tribune Writer

The mission is easily defined, but by no means easy.

Sunday night (7 p.m.) at Boston University's Walter Brown Arena, the
Merrimack College hockey team will attempt to accomplish what no team
in school history has done: Reach the Hockey East semifinals.

To do that, the seventh-seeded Warriors must walk into Terrier Town
and topple second-ranked BU.

"We have to play well," said Merrimack coach Ron Anderson, whose club
picked up its third win ever against the Terriers back in January,
losing the other two meetings this year.

"We know what we have to do.  We cannot get into a shootout.  Our
problem has not been scoring two or three goals.  It's been stopping
the other team from scoring."

Goaltending immediately steps to the forefront if the Warriors are to
stop the likes of BU's Mike Grier (28-23--51), Chris O'Sullivan
(20-31--51), Jacques Joubert (23-22--45), and Steve Thornton
(16-19--35).

To date, Anderson still has not decided whether it will be Martin
Legault or Eric Thibeault, the architect of the regular season 3-2
victory with an eye-popping 54 saves.

"We haven't decided.  Both have played well," said Anderson.  "Both
are ready.  We've been blessed with their play.  We'll play them both
if we have to."

Up front, Merrimack may not get many chances, so cashing in will be of
the utmost importance.

Andover's Matt Adams became the fourth 20-goal scorer for the Warriors
since joining Hockey East.  He's racked up 22 goals and 21 assists.

Freshman Casey Kesselring (14-20--34) has turned more than a few heads
with his play in the offensive zone.

A win means a trip to the Garden, where just about anything can
happen.  It's what the Warriors crave.  And with the perfect effort
and performance, it could happen Sunday night.

END