From:
Brian Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 1995 21:58:46 -0500
Does anyone know when the list of Hobey Baker Finalists comes out?

There has been much speculation among the western hockey-l subscribers on
who should be in contention for the award.  Of course, since they are most
familiar with the west, they come up with western players.  A couple
have been so bold to say that Brian Holzinger (BGSU) is *definitely* the
best player in college hockey, knowing little about the eastern players.
This is why I would like to have some discussion about possible eastern
Hobey finalists.

On BU (my team), I would love to name Mike Grier.  He leads the team in
scoring (49 pts.) and grabs the publicity for his style of play.  However,
he is still a little to raw and inexperienced to be called "the best."
Just having the most points doesn't make you the best player. (note to Brian
Holzinger fans)

I would think that Chris O'Sullivan has a serious shot in contending for the
Hobey.  He quietly does his work beside Grier, racking up almost as many points
(47, I think).  Besides that, he has tremendous talent and great finesse.
He can also use his power if need be. A true all-around great hockey player.

As a defenseman, Rich Brennan cannot be overlooked.  However, IMO, he has
been too inconsistent to merit serious consideration. (trying to be unbiased)

What other eastern players have a shot
?  Although I am most familiar with BU and somewhat with Maine, some names
in Hockey East that I "hear."  Greg Bullock, UML; J.F. Aube, NU; Ryan
Haggerty, BC; Chad Quenneville, PC; Jeff Tory, UM; Martin Legault, MC (are
goalies eligible); Eric Bogueniecki, UNH.  (????)  Again, these names
are ones I "hear," they are not neccisarily Hobey Baker contenders.

Brian Gentry BU '95
Go Terriers!!
The Beanpot is Home!!
Now for the HOCKEY EAST championship repeat!!