From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 1995 02:13:49 -0500
The UMass Media Guide reprinted the following facts from the October 1993
issue of Stops & Starts, the official newsletter of the American Hockey
Coaches Association.  The media guides from the four Division I conferences
from the 1992-93 season were used in the research:

Athletes from the US make up 60 percent of Divison I players.

27 of 41 schools had more American than Canadian players.

The states producing the most Division I players were Minnesota (158) and
Massachusetts (153).  They produced 45 percent of the US players and 27
percent of the total Division I players.  Michigan was third with 88 players.

Hockey East was the only conference in which every team was composed mostly
of US players.

The only position at which all four conferences had a US majority across the
board was goalie.

Primary source of players for each conference;
Hockey East: Massachusetts (43%)
WCHA: Minnesota (44%)
CCHA: Ontario (27%)
ECAC: Ontario (23%)

The UMA Media Guide also reprinted the following fact from USA Today, 1993:

Massachusetts sends more US born hockey players to the NHL than any other state.

MA  29%
MI  24%
MN  23%
IL  6%

I think these facts are very intersting, so I am posting them to the list.
Sorry if they have already been discussed in the past.

Sean Pickett
Go BU Terriers, 1994 Hockey East Champions!
BU Hockey Page:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/hockey.html