From:
"John R. Nash" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John R. Nash
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 1995 12:15:25 -0600
        I listened to the Wisconsin-NMU series on the radio this weekend.
Both games ended up in a tie after some rather exciting hockey.  With the
ongoing discussion about shootouts and ties, I thought it appropriate to
give my feelings about the weekend's results.  In the first game,
Wisconsin's Daubenspeck held off a barrage of shots, as the Badgers had the
worse of the play.  They managed to "hold off" NMU and "steal a point" by
their defensive play bailing out the offense.  From WI's point of view,
they were likely satisfied with the point.  If the game had gone to a
shootout, who knows how NMU would have done against a goalie having a hot
night?  If there was a SO and Wisconsin had won, would that have been at
all indicative of the game?  My general feeling was that both teams earned
their one point in their own way.
        On Saturday, the defensive style was replaced by a wide-open game,
with NMU holding leads of 3-0 and 5-3 at various points.  A vigorous
comeback capped by two goals in the final five minutes by the Badgers
resulted in another tie. Wisconsin was very happy with "earning a point"
(not stealing, this game!) from the comeback.  NMU coach Comley said
afterwards that he was glad that the team didn't lose the game.  Again,
both teams seem satisfied with the result.  No "kissing your sister"
sentiments in evidence.
        I guess my point here is that I had no "hollow feelings" about the
tie, belying the "fans hate ties" CW that is supposed to guide me.  In both
games, I think a shootout would have been wholly inappropriate.  The teams
"split" the series, which I think is indicative of the way they played
against each other.  The ties were fair and just.
        Now I need to prepare my vocal chords for next weekend's visit to
Madison by the Gophers..   The basketball team has ended The Curse...

-===-John R. [log in to unmask] Chem. Dept-===-