From:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 1994 21:22:10 EST
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Gentry
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>This is not only good news for UMaine, this is also good for Hockey East.  All
>the Maine infractions had put a black eye on the conference.

I disagree with the notion Maine's eligibility problems put a black eye
on Hockey East. The problems no doubt put Maine in a bad light and hockey,
but I don't think people pay much attention to what conference a problem
team belongs to. For example, with all of UNLV's basketball program's
problems, I looked down on UNLV and college basketball. But I could care
less about what conference UNLV belongs to (and I don't know what
conference it belongs to, if any).

>However if BU *did* do something like this without good reason, I will agree
>that it is sad.  By the way, it was Maine, not BU, that has gone to court.

Well, mentioning that it was Maine that has gone to court implies Maine
should be scolded for doing something "sad." I'll point out, though, that
Maine went to court because Hockey East overstepped its authority when
it banned Maine from the playoffs. Maine was protecting its right to
participate in the playoffs. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this.
And the Court's ruling in favor of Maine on the grounds HE did violate
its bylaws shows that Maine was justified in the action it took. HE was
guilty of writing poor bylaws that didn't address the issues involved
in its decision to ban Maine from post-season.
Ryan Robbins               "Nothing in fine print is ever good news."
University of Maine                                  -- Andy Rooney