Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 1994 13:49:28 -0600
Ah, they saved the best for last!

Now this was quality hockey! I turned to my friends at the end of the
first period, with the score tied 1-1, and said, "There has been more
quality hockey in this period than in the entire previous game." They
agreed.

These were two good hockey teams skating at their best. It was
pleasure to watch them.

Here is a little quiz to see if people have been paying attention to
Gopher hockey this year:

Minnesota-Michigan State:
-------------------------
Which team scored first?                Michigan State
Which team led at the end of two?       Michigan State
Which team had a third period comeback? Minnesota

Minnesota-Michigan:
-------------------
Which team scored first?                Michigan
Which team led at the end of two?       Michigan
Which team had a third period comeback? Minnesota

So once again the Gophers came back. But it was all the more
impressive, and let me tell you why:

Michigan is BIIIIG. I mean, I knew they were big. I knew they would
have the size advantage on Minnesota. But I didn't realize the full
extent until both teams took the ice in the warm up. Maybe it was
just that the Michigan uniforms make them look big, but I don't think
so. And as I predicted, Minnesota would lose a physical battle. It
was even worse than I thought, however.

In the first period, Nick Checco, one of only two Minnesota players
with a hat trick, skated off the ice with an injured shoulder. A big
loss, and I was worried. He is one of our tough, consistently fast
skaters, who always has the potential to come through in a big game.

In the second period, Justin McHugh, the other of the Minnesota
player with a hat trick, skated off the ice with a knee injury. A
much bigger loss. As the hero from the previous night's Michigan
State game, it was a real blow to the team and the fans to see him
leave the ice, not to return. Please note that I am not suggesting
that Michigan was purposely hurting top Minnesota players. Far from
it. They were just playing hard, and were big and strong. I am just
sorry to see the injuries happen, although hopefully both will be
back soon.

I was really worried midway through the second, especially when
Michigan scored their third goal to take a two goal lead near the end
of the period. Short two of our explosive powerhouses, facing one of
the toughest teams in the country, could the Gophers still make a
miraculous third period comeback?

I needn't have worried. I wonder how the opponents must feel, having
the lead, when that first comeback goal is scored. Oh no, here it
comes again!

Not that the Gophers dominated the entire period. In fact, each
period seemed evenly split, the first with a Minnesota edge, the
second with a Michigan edge, and the third with the nod to Minnesota.
They did have more shots on goal, and more of the play went on in the
Michigan zone, but not to the extent of previous games, like Friday's
game against Michigan State.

I was going to comment on the second Michigan goal which was somewhat
questionable, but I haven't seen the replay yet. My roommate, who
watched the games at home, saw the replay and said it was a good
call. I'll trust him...for now.

It was a great game, easily the best I have seen this year. Michigan
looks as tough as I thought they would be from last year. Minnesota
was skating fast and have outscored opponents 26-2 in the third
period. It looks like it doesn't really matter who they are playing,
the third period belongs to Minnesota. That is a nice fact, to keep
us fans from giving up, and to keep our blood pressure up. :-)

Now Minnesota gets a well-deserved break, as injuries heal and
Colorado College catches up to us in games played. Just one question:
what am I going to do for hockey this weekend?

                                                Lee-nerd

"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent." --Isaac Asimov