From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 1994 17:49:26 CDT
"Charles A. Baldwin" writes:
> Someone else may have a definitive list, but here are some Hobeys (off
> the top of my head) who currently play in the NHL: Neal Broten, Tom Kurvers
> (but someone should check on this), Tony Hrkac, Kip Miller (but sent down
> recently), Robb Stauber (I think sent down too, but did play last year).
> Neal Broten seems to me to be the only one to come anywhere close to being a
> bona-fide NHL star and now he's kind of long at the tooth. (Of course Lane
> MacDonald never tried the NHL due to medical conditions...who knows what
> would have happened? :->)

pretty good.  But Robbie Stauber DID spend most of his time with LA, as I recall
(although as backup to Hrudy, he doesn't see enough ice).  Broten is now 34.
His wife was quoted last year as saying she thought finally having the
opportunity to play on the same team with "baby" brother Paul (now 28!) had
revitalized him somewhat.

From the Hobey info packet from last Spring:
Year  Winner              School      '94 team (94-94, except for Kariya...)
1993  Paul Kariya         Maine       Anaheim
1992  Scott Pellerin      Maine       Albany River Rats (AHL)
1991  David Emma          BC          New Jersey
1990  Kip Miller          MSU         Kansas City (IHL)
1989  Lane MacDonald      Harvard     --
1988  Robb Stauber        Minn        Los Angeles
1987  Tony Hrkac          NoDak       "St. L. organization"
1986  Scott Fusco         Harvard     --
1985  Bill Watson         Minn-Duluth --
1984  Tom Kurvers         Minn-Duluth NY Islanders
1983  Mark Fusco          Harvard     --
1982  George McPhee       BGSU        --
1981  Neal Broten         Minn        Dallas (NORM SUCKS!!)*

Note:  Watson, (Mark) Fusco, and McPhee all played some NHL hockey.

{*Defn:  Sacrilege:  Moving a hockey team from Minnesota to a place where they
think a Zamboni is an Italian sausage     -- one  of Minnesota Moose newpaper ad
series: "Redefining Hockey in Minnesota".}

Let's acknowledge that success in college hockey is a different thing from
success in pro hockey.  In particular, smaller "skill" players who do well in
college may or may not do so well in the NHL.  And the Hobey is meant to reward
performance in college, not pro potential.  Also, those players who are sure
bets to succeed in the NHL often don't stick around long enough to win the
Hobey.  The best NHL prospect in college hockey last year was NOT Chris
Marinucci;  it was probably Landon Wilson, a frosh 1st-rounder at North Dakota,
who wasn't nominated.  Although I'm sure the North Dakota fans would like him to
stick around, I imagine he will take the big money sometime before his senior
year (to North Dakota's opponents' relief!)

Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]      1993 & 1994 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
                                  1994 NC$$ PHinal PHour!!!
                                        Ski-U-Mah!!!